A lot can go wrong in a sales situation, but it’s not always the fault of the sales pro. Here are ten irritating customers behaviors, and some quick advice on how to avoid or bypass them:
- BEHAVIOR #1: Not paying when they say they will. Fix: Find out how the company pays (and who cuts the checks) before closing the sale.
- BEHAVIOR #2: Letting you pitch when they won’t ever buy.Fix: Make sure that you ask qualifying questions early in the sales cycle.
- BEHAVIOR #3: Asking for last-minute discounts. Fix: Never give in to last minute discounts because they lower your personal credibility.
- BEHAVIOR #4: Holding back information you need. Fix:Develop more sources in the customer account and extend your relationships.
- BEHAVIOR #5: Using you for free consulting. Fix: Never do anything from a customer without getting some kind of quid pro quo concession.
- BEHAVIOR #6: Having unethical business practices. Fix:Don’t do business with people who tolerate cheats; they always cheat, too!
- BEHAVIOR #7: Never giving you credit for helping. Fix:Become responsible for subtly publicizing the positive impact inside the customer firm.
- BEHAVIOR #8: Standing you up on scheduled appointments. Fix: Call ahead the day of the meeting and ask the admin if the meeting’s still on.
- BEHAVIOR #9: Texting during your meeting. Fix: Grin and bear it. And, by the way, welcome to the 21st century!
- BEHAVIOR #10: Claim to have buying authority when they don’t. Fix: Create a map of the customer’s decision-making process then line up your ducks